KXXS Advanced Technology Optimized
After two years of design improvements and development, Moondrop has released the Kato, a new ULT (Ultra Linear Technology) dynamic driver IEM. With more power and less distortion than the original KXXS, the Kato is a full-frequency IEM with nonlinear distortion that’s comparable to electrostatic headphones.
The earphone shell is cast by metal injection molding, a process that combines two established technologies, plastic injection molding and powdered metallurgy, to create a nuanced three-dimensional design.
Brand new ULT super-linear dynamic driver
The Kato uses a new 10mm ULT super-linear dynamic driver that uses a more efficient composite magnetic circuit, a more linear air circulation structure, as well as a larger brass internal acoustic cavity. Other improvements include a lighter CCAW sound coil and a high-frequency phase waveguide.
3rd generation DLC composite diaphragm
The Kato uses a DLC (diamond-like carbon) composite diaphragm. This third-generation diaphragm is so lightweight and rigid that it reduces nonlinear distortion by at least 80% compared to previous generations of Moondrop diaphragms.
Interchangeable nozzle design
Customize the sound of the Kato by switching out the ear tips. The Kato comes with two brass and two steel tips that can be released by screwing and unscrewing them from the chassis. All of the ear tips include a filter that blocks earwax from entering the IEM.
The Kato comes with newly-designed Spring Tips, which significantly lower linear distortion for a more natural-sounding timbre in the high frequencies. Not only that, but the reinforcing rib design of the tips prevents bass loss caused by sound leakage.
4-core stock cable
The Kato comes with a silver-plated high-purity copper cable with a 4-core structure, which naturally rejects interference.
- Dynamic driver IEM
- VDSF tuning
- <0.15% THD
- Stainless steel chassis
- 3rd generation DLC composite diaphragm
- Interchangeable nozzle design
- Spring Tips
- 4-core stock cable
- Driver: 10mm ULT dynamic driver
- Diaphragm: 3rd generation DLC composite diaphragm
- Socket: 0.78 2 pin sunken design
- Housing: MIM stainless steel
- Nozzle: Stainless steel x 2, brass x 2
- Cable plug: 3.5mm stereo single-ended plug
- Frequency response range: 10Hz-45kHz (IEC61094, Free field)
- Effective frequency response range: 20Hz-20kHz (IEC60318-4, -3dB)
- Impedance: 32Ω±15% (@1kHz)
- Sensitivity: 123dB/Nrms (@1kHz)
- Distortion: <0.15% (@1kHz, AES17 20kHz, A-weight)
- Moondrop Kato
- Stainless steel nozzles x 2 pairs
- Brass nozzles x 2 pairs
- 4-core silver-plated high-purity copper cable
- Spring Tips
"One of the most natural and easygoing presentations...an incredible value." -SoundNews
"Great and enjoyable!" -Dan's Audio Reviews
"An all-rounder that plays well with all genres of music and is just exceptional in everything it does." -The Honest Audiophile